Monday, January 24, 2011

Are We Having Fun Yet?



Welcome back to the Little Blog on the Internet.  How did your week go?  I am hoping and praying it went well, and that you are more than ready for another Tuesday with your group.  Sarah's teaching was great, as usual.  I especially enjoyed the things she taught about the apocrypha, the conspiracy theories, and making our lists of the invisible qualities of God.  Also, the definition of poison is something I have never actually looked up, but it was enlightening because as I looked at that definition, it came to me that poison does not necessarily only mean something we take that can physically kill us.....things that can kill us spiritually are also things we see, hear, say, and do.  Very thought-provoking, Sarah!

Romans 7:15:  I do not understand what I do.  For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate, I do.

I am finding it fascinating to walk through the steps of the beginnings of our Church with Paul and Barnabas.  I had not paid attention to Acts before in such depth.  I find that I can read the whole chapter, and then when I go back to answer the questions, I discover that I've missed so much!  Let me hear an Amen girls....I hope I am not the only one.  :)






As I write this on Wednesday, we are expecting more snow on Thursday, so I thought we could trudge into our wintery mountain church for a peaceful and prayerful experience.  What does the Lord want to tell us today... Let's take off our snowboots in the narthex, pad down the cozy aisles, slip into a pew, bow our heads in reverence, and listen for His voice.....

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

Psalm 5:12
For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.


Ephesians 3:20-21
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.



          


Poison can be so pretty, eh?  Beautiful to look at, but don't touch!  That's the box jellyfish on the left and the very deadly nightshade on the right.  Sin can also look enticing.....but ouch!  When we partake.....so deadly....thank God for Jesus and His sweet grace.....





Before January leaves us completely:



The garnet is the birthstone for January.





The snowdrop is the flower for the month of January.  It often blooms in the snow.

And a few interesting January facts:

Paul Revere, Revolutionary War Patriot, was born January 1, 1735.

Flagmaker Betsy Ross was born January 1, 1863.

Fairy-tale collector, Jakob Grimm, was born January 4, 1785.

Nellie Tayloe Ross became the first woman governor of a state, Wyoming, January 5, 1925.

Charles Sumner, American Statesman and anti-slavery leader, was born January 6, 1811.

New Mexico became the 47th state, January 6, 1912.

First American presidential election, January 7, 1789.

Benedict Arnold, American Revolutionary War general and traitor, was born January 14, 1741.

Martin Luther King, American civil rights leader, was born January 15, 1929.





Blogview - Becky Bowling




Last week I was lucky to be having lunch with our gracious discussion leader, Becky Bowling.  While talking to her I found out that her husband’s name is Chris, she has a son Blake, 25, and son, Austin, 19.  She also told me that she has lived her whole married life in Louisville except a brief period in Cincinnati.
Kim:  Where did you grow up? 
Becky:  I was a gypsy…..moved 16 times in 16 years….My Father is a rocket scientist….written a book about it, been in the paper, retired now.  I got none of his genetic tendencies….(you hear about rocket scientists but I’d never met one….but now I've met his daughter!)
Kim:  Do you have siblings?
Becky:  two brothers, one lives outside Nashville, and one lives in Ashburn, VA, right outside of WA DC….  
Kim:  Do you have a job?
Becky:   I have my own business with a partner, called Grace by Design.  We do decorative painting, but we’re retiring soon.  (she showed me some decorative crosses they designed and painted – beautiful!)
Kim:  How long have you been a Christian?  
Becky:  I was baptized at 13, was raised in a Christian home, but not relationally Christian…..I grew up in the church, was president of the youth group and that sort of thing….was really close to the church probably until I got into college and fell off the wagon for six to seven years.  But God was with me through a whole lot of things, and when Chris and I met we started going to church and I went to the Catholic Church for ten  years….then started going to SE in the late 90s and joined in 2,000.  Really, Southeast because of bible studies and really getting into the word has just made all the difference, because it’s about being in the Word, not just going to church. 
Kim:  How was your Christmas? 
Becky:  We had a really nice Christmas but it was different from normal.  Typically our families come but this year was different and we did Christmas before the Holiday with them, so on Christmas day it was just our boys and us together – it was lovely and relaxing.  I made a big breakfast and we didn’t even open presents until 12:30.
Kim:  How long have you been a discussion leader?   
Becky:  Ten years….I was co facilitating with my partner in business for probably five years and now I do it by myself.  Being a DL has made me work harder on my study.
Kim:  Have you been together as a group for a while?
Becky:  Iit’s been a pretty good core group of ladies for quite a while.  We’re a diverse mix of culture and personalities, and we have learned a lot from each other with our different experiences in life.
(Becky told me this is her last year here facilitating, as she will be going to the Oldham Campus and being very involved there.  I’m sure after ten years she will be missed very much here!)
Kim:  Have you read any books lately you’d like to recommend? 
Becky:  I haven’t finished, but the one that I’m reading now, Radical, by David Platt…..
Kim:  Do you have a specific place where you study? 
Becky:  In my bedroom, it’s a chaise lounge that sits in a bay window and overlooks the creek and woods behind my house.  There’s a fireplace right across from it that I can turn on.  My husband likes it too.  (kim:  I can see why!) 
Kim:  What are your hobbies?
Becky:  Painting, and decorating…..I like to go out with the girls…..I love to cook, I love watching the birds in our yard and have great bird feeders.
Kim:  What gives you joy? 
Becky:  Doing for others…..being with my family….being on the beach.
Kim:  Is there anything in the Acts study that stands out to you?
Becky:    I had never studied Acts, so I’ve learned probably more than I could even talk about, but I love the mission work of the apostles.  I love to see the work of the Holy Spirit in Acts, and how God really moved through those men and changed those peoples’ hearts, even though Satan kept trying to intervene.  I just love to see the work of the Holy Spirit.  I think we don’t give the Holy Spirit enough credit in our daily lives, because the Holy Spirit, through us, can accomplish anything.  And some of us just don’t even realize that we have the Holy Spirit working within us and don’t let God work through us, and that’s what I love seeing about the apostles.  They never gave up through being stoned, etc., and they just kept plugging on and moving on.  The opposition did not stop them.
Kim:  What is your least favorite household chore?
Becky:  Bathrooms….(kim:  I would say that is probably universal….ha)
Kim:  What was the best advice ever given to you?
Becky:  Something my dad has always told me and he says it at the end of every phone conversation, “Honey, stop and smell the roses”  He’s always told me to do that, but at some point it really clicked with me and I’ve realized that there is so much in life that’s extremely trivial and I need to enjoy the day for what it is and not to worry so much about the little stuff, but enjoy your kids, creation, the sun.

Kim:  Do you have any pet peeves? 
Becky:  People who are rude…..people who are late…..people who are all about themselves…..
Kim:  Your favorite restaurant? 
Becky: Anything Seafood…..the best we have here is Fish Market and Bonefish….
Kim:  Have you seen any good movies lately?
Becky:   Actually two….the last Narnia was very good….and True Grit
 Kim:  Most memorable vacation you’ve taken? 
Becky:   Maui with my boys….
Kim:  What biblical woman do you most identify with at this time in your life?
Becky:  Right now Esther, because God has guided me for a specific place and purpose for “such a time as this.”  I’m an empty nester, moving from Blankenbaker to Oldham campus, and retiring from my job all at once.
Kim:  Your favorite bible verse(s) at this point in your life?
Becky:  I have three…
 Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Philippians 4:8  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.
Isaiah 40:11  So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

And now here is the game.  Two of the things listed below are not true about Becky, and one IS true.  Can you guess which one is true?
I have bungee jumped and loved it!
I’ve panned for gold.
I won a car in a contest.

Dana Farmer’s “truth” was that she has had a dead cat in her garage for 12 years….if you want details, ask Dana.  J




Recipe of the Week - Macaroni and Four Cheeses

Picture of Macaroni and 4 Cheeses Recipe

 

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray
  • 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen pureed winter squash
  • 2 cups 1 percent lowfat milk
  • 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/3 cups)
  • 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup)
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes.  Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the Cheddar, Jack cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni, and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish. Combine bread crumbs, Parmasan and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.  Bake for 20 minutes. Then broil for 3 minutes so the top is crisp and nicely browned.






"It's not that the Christian faith has been tried and found difficult, but rather it's been found difficult and left untried." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton
"The cause of America is in a great measure the cause of all mankind. Where, say some, is the king of America? I'll tell you, friend, He reigns above."  Thomas Paine

"Those who read fast reap no more advantage than a bee would by only skimming over the surface of the flower, instead of waiting to penetrate into it, and extract its sweets."  Madame Jeanne Guyon




Turn up the volume, and follow along below.....author unknown, but this kid is great!









In Genesis, Jesus Christ is the seed of the woman.
In Exodus, He is the passover lamb.
In Leviticus, He is our high priest.
In Numbers, He is the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night.
In Deuteronomy, He is the prophet like unto Moses.
In Joshua, He is the captain of our salvation.
In Judges, He is our judge and lawgiver.
In Ruth, He is our kinsman redeemer.
In 1st and 2nd Samuel, He is our trusted prophet.
In Kings and Chronicles, He is our reigning king.
In Ezra, He is the rebuilder of the broken down walls of human life.
In Esther, He is our Mordecai.
In Job, He is our ever-living redeemer.
In Psalms, He is our shepherd.
In Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, He is our wisdom.
In the Song of Solomon, He is the loving bridegroom.
In Isaiah, He is the prince of peace.
In Jeremiah, He is the righteous branch.
In Lamentations, He is our weeping prophet.
In Ezekiel, He is the wonderful four-faced man.
In Daniel, He is the forth man in life's "fiery furnace."
In Hosea, He is the faithful husband, forever married to the backslider.
In Joel, He is the baptizer with the Holy Ghost and fire.
In Amos, He is our burden-bearer.
In Obadiah, He is the mighty to save.
In Jonah, He is our great foreign missionary.
In Micah, He is the messenger of beautiful feet.
In Nahum, He is the avenger of God's elect.
In Habakkuk, he is God's evangelist, crying, "revive thy work in the midst of the years."
In Zephaniah, He is our Saviour.
In Haggai, He is the restorer of God's lost heritage.
In Zechariah, He is the fountain opened up in the house of David for sin and uncleanness.
In Malachi, He is the Sun of Righteousness, rising with healing in His wings.
In Matthew, He is King of the Jews.
In Mark, He is the Servant.
In Luke, He is the Son of Man, feeling what you feel.
In John, He is the Son of God.
In Acts, He is the Savior of the world.
In Romans, He is the righteousness of God.
In I Corinthians, He is the Rock that followed Israel.
In II Corinthians, He is the Triumphant One, giving victory.
In Galatians, He is your liberty; He sets you free. In Ephesians, He is Head of the Church.
In Philippians, He is your joy.
In Colossians, He is your completeness.
In 1st and 2nd Thessalonians, He is your hope.
In I Timothy, He is your faith.
In II Timothy, He is your stability.
In Philemon, He is your Benefactor.
In Titus, He is truth.
In Hebrews, He is your perfection.
In James, he is the Power behind your faith.
In I Peter, He is your example.
In II Peter, He is your purity.
In I John, He is your life.
In II John, He is your pattern.
In III John, He is your motivation.
In Jude, He is the foundation of your faith.
In Revelation, He is your coming King.
He is the First and Last, the Beginning and the End!
He is the keeper of Creation and the Creator of all!
He is the Architect of the universe and the Manager of all times.
He always was, He always is, and He always will be...
Unmoved, Unchanged, Undefeated, and never Undone!
He was bruised and brought healing!
He was pierced and eased pain!
He was persecuted and brought freedom!
He was dead and brought life!
He is risen and brings power!
He reigns and brings Peace!
The world can't understand him,
The armies can't defeat Him,
The schools can't explain Him, and
The leaders can't ignore Him.
Herod couldn't kill Him,
The Pharisees couldn't confuse Him, and
The people couldn't hold Him!
Nero couldn't crush Him,
Hitler couldn't silence Him,
The New Age can't replace Him, and
Oprah can't explain Him away!
He is light, love, longevity, and Lord.
He is goodness, Kindness, Gentleness, and God.
He is Holy, Righteous, mighty, powerful, and pure.
His ways are right, His word is eternal,
His will is unchanging, and His mind is on me.
He is my Redeemer, He is my Savior,
He is my guide, and He is my peace!
He is my Joy, He is my comfort,
He is my Lord, and He rules my life!





"The Lord bless you, and keep you: The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." (Numbers 6:24-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment